Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Glitter Heart Charm + Tutorial

Hello crafters!

Since I don't use resin or hot glue for any of my crafts, I was curious to see if I could use school glue to give some of my crafts a similar effect.

For the last few weeks, I have been testing a few different crafts with glue. Originally I had tried testing an ice cream mold with "Goes on purple, dries clear" Elmer's school glue. It took a few weeks for the first layer to dry. After that, I tried testing some normal Elmer's school glue on some thinner one-side-only molds where I only needed 1 to 2 quick layers of glue. This project had taken up to 3 days for every mold to dry. Finally, a few days ago, I drizzled & spread some glue mixed with glitter on a plastic top. Within about 6 hours in front of a fan, it was dry.

 All different ways with glue turned out pretty well, but the Elmer's "goes on purple, dries on clear" school glue had a much better look than the normal Elmer's school glue. Although it might take some extra time to dry depending on the amount of glue that you are using, the glue actually gave the look that I was going for.  For my first craft with it, I decided to make an adorable glitter heart charm saying "I 💖 U" along with a tutorial on how to make it for yourself!

 So if you're still reading this whole long chat about glue, here is the tutorial for my glitter heart charm!

 Items Used:
 - Scissors
- A plastic top (or really anything plastic & non-stick should work)
- Confetti Glitter Puffy Paint
 - Elmer's Goes On Purple Dries Clear School Glue
- Black Puffy Paint (or you could try using a permanent black marker)
- Jumbo Glitter - A foam heart


First, I spread some of Elmer's school glue on a plastic top.


 Next, I added some Confetti Glitter Puffy Paint on top of the glue and mixed them together. Then, I added Jumbo Glitter and mixed them in.








Wait for it to dry. I put them in front of a fan to dry a bit quicker.


After about 5 to 7 hours, it should be dry. Slightly pull the now dried glitter glue off of the plastic.


I had created 2 of these dried glue glitter pieces at the time of making this.


Then, I added glue to a foam heart piece and stuck it to the dried glittery glue.  I used scissors to cut around the foam.  Once I finished this,  I took the now heart piece off of the cake before the glue dried.








After that, I used black Puffy Paint to write "I 💖 U" on the heart-shaped glitter piece.






After the black paint had dried, I used the heart piece to help me cut out two other pieces that were the same size and shape as the original one. When I finished this, I glued one of the heart pieces onto the front of the original piece, and the other to the back of the original piece.







Finally, I pushed the top of the black Puffy Paint slightly through the glue to make a hole in the top of one of the sides of the heart. Make sure to be very gentle though, too rough and the heart could tear. Depending on the size of the chain, string, or ribbon that you're putting it on, I would recommend trying to use a toothpick to make the hole.





The heart charm is finally finished! I hope you liked this tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment